|Title I||Mishiranu, Tenjō|
"An Unfamiliar Ceiling"
|Title II||"The Beast"|
|Directed by||Kazuya Tsurumaki|
|Written by||Hideaki Anno|
|Air Date||Oct 11, 1995|
"An Unfamiliar Ceiling" is the second episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Shinji wakes up in the hospital, with no memory of the fight against the Angel the night before. His father wants nothing to do with him, so NERV's head of operations, Misato Katsuragi, becomes his legal guardian. Settling in to life in Misato's apartment, he eventually recalls the furious battle.
Episode 02 resumes the first episode, with Shinji preparing to face the Angel in Evangelion Unit-01. Shinji's fear makes his attempt to move his Eva fail, vulnerable to the Angel's attack. The Angel then proceeds to seriously damage the Eva, breaking its left arm and piercing through its skull. The pilot's signal is lost, and the Eva shut down. The scene goes to the hospital, where Shinji suddenly wakes up, noting that he doesn't recognize where he is.
Gendo discusses the reappearance of the angels after 15 years with the Human Instrumentality Committee, While Misato and Ritsuko survey the aftermath of the battle. Gendo is instructed not to let the sudden reappearance of the Angels make the Human Instrumentality Project fall behind schedule. Shinji sees Rei at the hospital. Misato comes to pick Shinji up at the hospital and they meet Gendo by the elevator, but Shinji wordlessly refuses to enter.
Misato takes Shinji to be assigned accommodation, but discovers that he will be living alone, and so she decided to take him to live with her instead, after promising Ritsuko not to "put the moves on" him. On the way home from shopping, Misato takes Shinji to an observation point overlooking Tokyo-3 and they witness the city building emerge from underground, telling him that it is their home and the city he helped to protect.
Misato and Shinji arrive at Misato's Apartment. Shinji tries to enter as a guest, but Misato insists that the apartment is his home, and so Shinji says "Tadaima (I'm Home)" as he crosses the Threshold. Misato's apartment is in a state with empty beer cans everywhere, and only ice, condiments and more beer in the fridge. Misato changes and they set down to eat a meal of instant food
While taking a bath, Shinji meets Pen Pen in the bathroom and is so startled that he runs naked back into the kitchen to tell Misato. Misato explains that Pen-Pen is their other "roommate", and advises Shinji to cover up, and he slinks back into the bathroom in extreme embarrassment. Shinji reflects in the days events in the bath.
We see Evangelion Unit-00 frozen in Bakelite being observed by Gendo and Ritsuko. They discuss Rei's recovery in a ruined control room. Gendo reveals that despite their hardships he will continue to have the children pilot the Evangelions.
Shinji lies alone in his bedroom, listening to his SDAT player. Misato speaks with Ritsuko on the phone about their situation. Shinji lies awake reflecting on his presence in Tokyo-3. As he does so, sounds from the battle are heard and images of nerve cells as viewed through a microscope flash across the screen. We begin a flashback to the events of the battle.
Unit-01 was rendered inoperative by Sachiel's attack, with NERV losing control of the Eva and contact with the pilot. Misato orders the ejection of the Entry Plug, but the system is completely out of control. Unit-01 suddenly reactivates and begins to act on her own. It launches a vicious attack upon the Angel, succeeding in damaging its face. A second attack by the Eva is blocked by a powerful A.T. Field barrier. The Eva repairs her broken left arm and erodes the Angel's barrier with another A.T. Field.
Once the barrier is down, Unit-01 soundly defeats Sachiel by shattering the downed Angel's Core. Sachiel in a last desperate attack, wraps itself around the Eva and self destructs in a massive cross shaped explosion. Unit-01 emerges from the explosion with little apparent damage.
As NERV regains control of the Evangelion, Shinji comes to in the entry plug. The damaged helmet sloughs off, and Shinji is able to glimpse the Eva's face reflected in the windows of a building. As he looks on, the Eva's eye regenerates and suddenly focuses straight at him. Shinji begins to scream and the flashback ends.
Shinji slowly curls up in bed after recalling the battle. Misato comes to his door and praises him for piloting the Eva and saving the city.
- When Misato is channel-surfing on TV while in the NERV tent with Ritsuko, it is difficult to tell exactly what they are saying, however the full lines of dialogue for the people on TV were actually included in the script: (parts actually heard on-screen are italicized):
- Woman on Channel 12: "...the government administration's announcement was carried out this morning in the official residence of the prime minister of Tokyo-2."
- Man on Channel 4: "As for the participation of the SSDF in this incident not being recognized, this was negated."
- Woman on Channel 8: "They advocated that the U.N. forces' sortie into Japan was within the scope of the law."
- Man on Channel 1: "When confronted with the claim, "Was this not an alien attack?", they laughed, saying, "This isn't manga"."
- Misato complains that it is hot out when they are in the truck transporting Eva Unit-01's helmet, and even with the air conditioning turned up, takes off several layers of clothing to be more comfortable. However, Ritsuko does not take off her heavy lab coat. This would seem to be emblematic of their personalities; Misato is casual and laid-back, while Ritsuko is very professional and concerned with appearances.
- The outfit that Misato changes into when she brings Shinji back to her apartment (blue cutoff short shorts, a loose fitting yellow t-shirt, and apparently no bra) is exactly the same outfit that Asuka wears when she kisses Shinji in Episode 15.
- The shot of Misato grabbing Shinji's head from above while at her kitchen table visually parallels the shot when Sachiel grabs Unit-01's head from above.
- The two women talking in the convenience store seem to be voiced by Yuko Miyamura and Megumi Hayashibara, the voices actresses for Asuka and Rei.
- The song played in the convenience store is You Are the Only One, which also appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
- Shinji Ikari: "I don't know this ceiling."
- Misato Katsuragi: "This is New Tokyo-3. This is our city. And it's the city that you helped to protect."
- Ritsuko Akagi: "It's gone berserk?"
|Episodes & Films|
|Neon Genesis Evangelion||01 • 02 • 03 • 04 • 05 • 06 • 07 • 08 • 09 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16 • 17 • 18 • 19 • 20 • 21 • 22 • 23 • 24 • 25 • 26|
|Evangelion: Death and Rebirth||Evangelion: Death • Evangelion: Death (true) • Evangelion: Rebirth|
|Revival of Evangelion||Evangelion: Death (true)² • The End of Evangelion (25' • 26')|
|Rebuild of Evangelion||Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone • Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance • Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo • Evangelion: Final|
|Others||Evangelion: Another Impact|