A wide array of weapons are used by Evangelion units throughout the course of the different continuities they appear. Although designed to help the Evas in their fights against the Angels, these standard weapons are not very effective as they are merely Evangelion-sized versions of standard human weapons.
Neon Genesis Evangelion/The End of Evangelion continuityEdit
Close combat WeaponsEdit
A combat knife stored in the left shoulder pylon of an Evangelion which uses it, and is one of the Evas' basic armaments. The blade of the knife vibrates at an extremely high frequency, increasing its cutting sharpness to the point that it can cleave the matter of a target object at a molecular level.
- Unit-01's Progressive Knife is shaped like a simple Bowie Knife.
- Unit-02's Progressive Knife is a more advanced version, which is shaped similarly to a utility knife: if the current blade is damaged or snapped off, a new one will extend from the handle to take its place.
- Unit-00, as built, had no pylons and probably had no Knife. However, it was issued with one during its reconstruction, and its Knife was seen once, very briefly in Episode 12; Unit-00' 's prog knife looked exactly like Unit-01's.
No other Evas besides Unit-00', Unit-01, and Unit-02 are ever seen using Progressive Knives (although in non-canon materials, such as video games or model kits, Unit-03 and Unit-04 are seen using the same Progressive Knife as Unit-01).
A spear-like weapon used to cleave Israfel in half in Episode 09. It also appears in Episode 19, but is never used. In real life, a glaive is a spear shaft with a knife at the end instead of a spearhead. So it is Presumably based on the same technology as a progressive knife, but with an extended range.
An axe-like weapon, capable of being wielded with one or two hands. Unit-02 sortied with it in Episode 16, but never used in combat against an Angel. Also probably based on progressive knife technology, using sonic vibrations to increase the sharpness of the blade: it is not as long as the "Sonic Glaive" spear, but has a wider blade for more damage.
Sometimes alternatively called Pallet Gun, it is the standard-issue rifle used by Evangelion units. It resembles a Steyr ACR. This giant automatic rifle is proportionately sized to match the Evas, so an Eva can wield the rifle just as a human would use a conventional assault rifle. The Pallet Gun is seen in Episodes:
- 03: Unit-01 against Shamshel; ineffective.
- 09: Unit-01 against Israfel (ineffective), then as part of synchronized attack.
- 11: Unit-01 against Matarael; mortal blow.
- 18: Unit-00 and Unit-01 both sortied with; used by neither
- 19: Unit-02 against Zeruel, dual-wielded; ineffective.
- 23: Unit-01 sortied with; not used.
It is not entirely clear why this weapon is called a "Pallet" Gun. Bonus materials and production notes never explain this choice of name, but do refer to it directly as such.
Resembles a Desert Eagle Mark XIX. Used by Unit-01 against Leliel in Episode 16 but it is ineffective.
Unit-00's weapon of choice, modeled on the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Magnum.
- 16: Unit-00 against Leliel; doesn't contact.
- 23: Unit-00 against Armisael; ineffective.
- 18: Unit-02 sortied with; not used.
- 19: Unit-02 against Zeruel, dual-wielded; ineffective.
The Positron Rifle (Prototype 20 with toroidal accelerator) is shoulder-mounted (the shoulder pylon of the equipped arm is removed). Capable of firing rounds into low Earth-orbit, though the power of the shots diminishes to being ineffective at such a long range. Not a very mobile weapon, as relies on an external power cable to power its function. It still uses a finite amount of ammunition, about 8 rounds.
- 06: Seen but not used.
- 09: Unit-02 against Israfel; limited effect or ineffective.
- 22: Unit-02 against Arael; doesn't contact. (Design is slightly altered in this episode)
Positron Sniper RifleEdit
A prototype, originally requisitioned from the JSSDF's R&D labs, where it was known as the SDF's Automated Positron Rifle.
- 06: Unit-01 against Ramiel; mortal blow.
An upgraded, modified, or Eva-specific version of the weapon is used against Ramiel.
- 22: Unit-00 against Arael; ineffective due to range and power limitations.
Rebuild of Evangelion continuityEdit
PKN-01C Progressive KnifeEdit
Appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone, used by Unit-01. Unlike its television forebear, this close-in melee weapon has a slightly-altered blade shape, but like a jackknife the weapon can be folded and stowed into the left shoulder portable arms compartment.
Appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, used by Unit-02'γ. It can separate into two swords.
Gatling Gun (ガトリングガン): Appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. A massive Gatling Gun, used by Unit-01 against Shamshel. When being fired this weapon drops a large amount of spent shell casings that destroy several vehicles on the ground.
- Official Designation: EM-226 Evangelion Portable Revolving Multi-Barrel Machine Gun
- Caliber: 440mm
Appears in Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. The same as the old Pallet Rifle, is brought up for use against Shamshel but not taken.
- Official Designation: Type MM-99 Evangelion Large Caliber Rifle / AU Assault Rifle
- Caliber: 209mm
Super-Electromagnetic Crossbow MM-144Edit
As originally conceived, the weapon utilized the Eva's A.T. Field for propulsion of its projectiles. However, this was changed to electromagnetic propulsion during Evangelion 2.0's post-production.
- Official Designation: MM-144 Evangelion Custom Super-Electromagnetic Crossbow
- German Designation: Überelektromagnetische Armbrust MM-144
Appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, used by Unit-08 (both in α and β configuration). It can either use regular ammunation or special Anti-A.T. Field ammunition, special bullets which can break through any A.T. Field.
Appears in Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, used by Unit-08β. It is essentially an Evangelion-size handgun.
In Other MediaEdit
Magoroku Exterminate SwordEdit
Sometimes shorten as "Magoroku-E Sword" or "Magorox". Designed for the show by Ikuto Yamashita, but never used (it appears in some production art and is included with some models, however). It is a long sword for Unit-01's use. A dedicated scabbard for the Magorox can be attached to the left shoulder pylon of Unit-01 for storage.
Designed by Ikuto Yamashita, appearing in production artworks and included with some models. It is essentially a shorten Magorox designed mainly, true to its name, for defensive purpose. As for the Magorox, a dedicated scabbard for the Counter Sword can be attached to Unit-01's left shoulder pylon for storage.
Designed by Yamashita for Neon Genesis Evangelion 2. Appears in the manga; used by Kaworu in Unit-02 against Armisael. The Dual Saw is exactly what it's title states: a chainsaw with two blades placed beside each other. According to its description, this weapon is so big that "cutting" isn't the proper term to describe its action. "Shredding" would be more fitting.
A javelin-like weapon that has appeared in multiple official illustrations, but not known to have appeared anywhere else.
First appearing in the Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 game and then appearing in Neon Genesis EVANGELION (3 Years After) -ANIMA-, the All-range Weapon Mastema is a very unique weapon in that it covers all the ranges possible. Named after the fallen angel, it can be used as a N² Missile launcher, a gun or a blade. Even if it's a large weapon, it is surprisingly light, making it very deadly.
Neon Genesis Evangelion -ANIMA- continuityEdit
Magoroku Exterminate Sword Stage 2Edit
While the first Magorox was just a metal sword, the Stage 2 Magorox's blade is infused with A.T. Field, making it able to penetrate enemies' A.T. Field.
Counter Sword Stage 2Edit
Developed at the same time as the Magoroku Exterminate Sword Stage 2, the Counter Sword Stage 2 is exactly what its name suggets : a enhanced version of the regular Counter Sword. It is A.T. Field-enhanced.
New Type Pallet Rifle "Powered 8"Edit
The old Pallet rifle was inefficient against the Angels, as its bullet movement energy was only 60 megajoules. This new Pallet Rifle, the "Powered 8", is updated with railgun-based technology to be more efficient. Researches are made to develop a long barrel type Pallet Rifle which would shoot A.T. Field to penetrate enemies' A.T. Field.
- ↑ The concept of a bladed weapon being vibrated at ultrasonic frequencies to increase its sharpness is actually fairly common in multiple science fiction genres; in particular such "vibroblades" are frequently utilized in the Star Wars universe.
- ↑ Stery ACR Rifle Styer site with images of the firearm. Designed in 1987; only seven years before Evangelion was created. Apparently, the rifle uses flechette ammunition, which is basically steel darts instead of bullets.
- ↑ http://world.guns.ru/assault/as56-e.htm
- ↑ Accuracy International Website. The AW series was introduced in 1991, only four years before Evangelion was made. Since the rifles are sold as customisable kits, there are no standardised images of them on the company site; but profiles of several rifles can be seen here.
- ↑ See Ikuto Yamashita's concept drawings in Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection, along with the evolution of pertinent cuts as shown in the Rebuild of Evangelion 2.02 featurette.