|This page contains Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project (新世紀エヴァンゲリオン 碇シンジ育成計画, "Shin Seiki Evangerion: Ikari Shinji Ikusei Keikaku") is a computer game based on the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. The player assumes control of Shinji Ikari, the protagonist and main character of the normal Neon Genesis Evangelion series, in the expanded alternate universe that was glimpsed upon for a few moments in the TV episode 26. Basically, the player decides Shinji's fate in how he lives his life. The story begins with the attack of the 3rd Angel, much like the anime. Different decisions and actions lead to various outcomes etc.
Play proceeds in three major ways: The weekly schedule, battle, and dialogue choices. The player chooses Shinji's schedule for each week (each day having two event slots); what Shinji does influences his statistics (for example, taking synch tests improves his ability in an Eva). On Sundays, Shinji can take part in extra activities such as shopping for items which have various effects or NERV work which unlocks new Eva equipment. Battle controls are menu-driven and the outcome is determined partly by statistics and partly by luck. At various points Shinji will be asked to make choices during dialogue which can have far-reaching influence on the story.
The game introduces three new female NERV technicians: Kaede Agano (阿賀野 カエデ, "'Agano Kaede'") (voiced by Ai Shimizu), Satsuki Ooi (大井 サツキ, "'Ōi Satsuki'") (voiced by Maria Yamamoto), and Aoi Mogami (最上 アオイ, "'Mogami Aoi'") (voiced by Yui Horie).
During the game you may raise Shinji's stats which influence the ending and gameplay, these include:
- Knowledge (学力): The higher this is, the less likely Shinji will fail tests
- Physical strength (体力): The higher this is, the less likely Shinji will become sick
- Morality (道徳): The higher this is, the more likely Shinji will listen to Misato
- Sensitivity (感受性): Related to getting Shinji to date people
- Sexuality (色気): The higher this is, the more Shinji will be attracted to girls. The lower it is, the more he will be attracted to boys.
- Synchronizer ratio (シンクロ率): The higher this is, the more damage and defense an Eva will have.
- Stress (ストレス): The higher this is, the more likely Shinji will get sick
- Work Progress (仕事進捗): Misato's progress into developing new weapons
- Money (所持金): Every month you are given 10,000 yen from NERV to spend on Shinji
As the game goes on it is possible for Shinji to develop a relationship with people. Relationships are also raised by certain story choices you make. The following are characters Shinji can develop a relationship with.
- Rei Ayanami: Appears during story event
- Relationship raised: Attending any event Rei attends
- Asuka Langley Soryu: Appears during story event
- Relationship raised: Attending any event Asuka attends, buying her cake when asked
- Mana Kirishima: Attend school once
- Relationship raised: Attend Club (unlocked when you first meet her)
- Misato Katsuragi: Appears during game intro
- Relationship raised: Talk to her every Sunday
- Satsuki Ooi: Attend sensitivity training
- Relationship raised: Attend sensitivity training and raise your sensitivity
- Kaworu Nagisa: Appears during story event
- Relationship raised: Have 0 sexuality and attend any event he attends
- Jobless Man
- Basketball Player
- Blade Man
- University Student
- Overseas support
- Cello player
- Production house
- Satsuki Ooi
During a fight an eva has between 2 and 5 choices of what to do:
- Attack (攻撃): Attack with or without a weapon
- Abandon equipment (肉薄): Drops equipment (Available only when holding an item)
- Defend (防御): Block attack
- Concentrate (集中): Doubles equipment attack power (Available only when holding an item)
- Wait (待機): Shinji counterattacks the monster (Available only when foe is attacking you)
- ↑ Kaede Agano Character information at official Gainax page for Shinji Ikari Raising Project game (Japanese)
- ↑ Satsuki Ooi Character information at official Gainax page for Shinji Ikari Raising Project game (Japanese)
- ↑ Aoi Mogami Character information at official Gainax page for Shinji Ikari Raising Project game (Japanese)
- "Yet Another Evangelion Manga Spinoff"
- ActiveAnime Vol. 1 review
- ActiveAnime Vol. 2 review
- ActiveAnime Vol. 5 review
- PCS review of vol 1
- Mania.com review of vol 1
- The Star review of manga vol 1